Monday, June 6, 2011

Today's Challenge

Today is Monday and today's challenge is to find a power cord adapter that will allow me to plug my computer into the power outlets at SEMOC's office. I have with me a Dell Dinosaur laptop that I purchased on Ebay. I knew the power here would be different so I brought along a Mozambican style adapter that would allow me to plug into the local wall outlets. This works fine in the hotel, but unknown to me, SEMOC's office has two outlets. One is South-African type, a huge three prong affair. The other is Zimbabwe type. Neither one will take my adapter. So the mission today is to search the local shops for a adapter that will work..

Today is also the start of the second week. The first week was spent collecting data and interviewing SEMOC's employees in order to understand their inventory problems. This week will be spent formulating a plan, writing an inventory guideline manual and gearing up for a presentation and training for SEMOC employees on Thursday morning.

Last nights dinner was a simple affair, just pizza and beer at a local restaurant. My interpreter-Guide spent the evening teaching me the history of this part of Africa starting with the second world war. History is very different and much more interesting when you here it from families that have lived it.

No comments: